Thursday, March 24, 2011

PBS programming: The mis-education of today's youth

Kyle has picked up a phrase or two from some of the shows that he watches. One of my favorite moves he has devised comes from a combination of two of his favorites: Pocahontas and The Lion King. It involves marching around like the hyenas while chanting "Savages! Savages!" Luckily it sometimes comes out sounding like "Sausages! Sausages!" so when he begins chanting and marching around in a circle while in public people don't give me the stink eye. He also loves Dinosaur Train which is on PBS. It is from this show that Kyle learned the song/dance "great big stomping dinosaur feet". Harmless little song and dance, right? Wrong! Usually when I hear Ky singing and stomping away it is no big deal and I usually pay little attention beyond glancing up at him for a quick giggle. Today he was helping me sweep up all of the puffs that Emily had thrown on the floor when I heard him start stomping around and singing about "dinoswar feet". Something caught my attention, an unusual sound accompanying the usual song and dance. 



As you can see my little man abandoned his broom and dustpan to don his snow boots and dinoswar stomp the puffs. In Kyle's defense, he loves to help me do all kinds of cleaning around the house. He jumps in to help whenever I am sweeping, doing dishes, throwing laundry into the wash or vacuuming. Taking this in to consideration I can choose to interpret his actions in one of two ways:
  1. He so loves sweeping that he was saddened when the job was completed, and wanted to make more work for me himself; or
  2. PBS is actually an evil station that subconsciously brainwashes susceptible little minds into doing evil little deeds.
The jury is still out.

No comments:

Post a Comment