Saturday, April 24, 2010

Cry a good-bye

There have been various times thorough out this pregnancy in which I have been kind of sad to be moving from a cuddly family of three, to an "Oh my, what were we thinking" sized family of four. These times usually occur on a Saturday or Sunday morning when we bring Kyle into bed with us for some family snuggle time. What started out as a sometimes desperate, and almost always vain, attempt at trying to get some extra sleep has turned into one of my favorite parts of the week. In the eyes of a toddler (or more specifically, my toddler) Momma and Daddy's bed is not a place to sleep. Oh no, no, no. Momma and Daddy's bed is the place where Kyle starts his weekends off right.

It usually happens something like this. Sometime between 5 and 7 our human alarm clock wakes up crying (our little darling is not a morning person), and one of us will stumble to Kyle's room to hit the snooze button. Just kidding. Depending on how many times I woke Travis up when I got up to go to the bathroom, or by poking him in the back and hissing "just move over, you're too close", the least tired of the two of us will go gather Kyle, his 3 or 4 BoBoes (his blankies; pronounced boe-boessssss with a longggggg "s"), and his auder (water). Now the exact number of BoBoes can vary dramatically depending on how many he managed to snag over the course of the day. Kyle can't count to 7, but if he has managed to spread 7 BoBoes over the house during the day, you had better be sure he will account for every single on of them when it is time for nigh-night. And of course everything in the crib must also come out of the crib come morning time. Thankfully Travis and I have gotten much better at finding ways to make Bo-Boes disappear prior to bed time, which makes the morning gathering process oh so much easier to manage.  

Since I am new to this blogging business and we are partaking of this novel experience together I feel that I must explain something about my writing style. I ramble. A lot. I usually have a clear path that I set out on, however as my story unfolds it inevitably will meander off course. Sometimes that meandering may take us a down a path that has nothing whatsoever to do with where we started. I'm ok with this, and as long as you are too, then we will get along just fine! An excellent example of this is related to my time at St. Kates. Maybe some day I will tell you the story about the two erasers.....

Back to weekends started off right. Once firmly planted in the middle of the bed is when Kyle's fun really begins. If Travis is the one to bring Kyle in then I might hear a whispered "Momma? Momma?" just prior to getting a sloppy, wet Kyle kiss. These mornings may also begin with a sweet chant of "Momma, Daddy, Kywo". Once Travis turns on the t.v. Kyle immediately covers his eyes and cries out "My eyes! My eyes!" and pulls one of his Bo-Boes over his head giggling. Next can come any random number of things from steam rolling Daddy, to giving zerberts (you know, blowing a raspberry on an arm, or a tummy, or Momma's cheek), or just jumping off the bed to see what kind of trouble there is to be found. My clue to get clear the way and protect my precious cargo is the commencement of Wrestle Mania. Eventually I ask Kyle if he is hungry and if he wants to go eat breakfast. As my little man still tends to be of few words, this is usually followed by a quiet gathering of Bo-Boes, auder and a "bye-bye" to Daddy.

So why do these times make me a little sad? Soon we will have little darling #2 with us and these wonderful mornings are going to change for a while. I have found myself snuggling Kyle more, and holding him every chance I get lately. I have become teary eyed more and more frequently during our cuddle sessions as I think that, at least for a little while, the immediate future doesn't necessarily include many quality Momma/Kywo snuggles where he can fall asleep wrapped (albeit awkwardly right now) around my buddha belly.

I know that our lives will be filled with new, wonderful times, but it is still a little sad to say goodbye to one way of life. I think back to when Kyle was born and I remember feeling that it was impossible to remember what life was like with out him. I know that once little darling #2 arrives we will all feel this same way, but for right now it just feels good to cry a good bye every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment