Friday, March 23, 2012

The Connection Between Hutterite Chicken and Criminal Behavior

....or does Criminal Behavior Run in Families? Hang in there with me for a minute and the connection will be made clear shortly.

Being married to a chiropractor has many benefits, including connections to people around the state that we otherwise wouldn't have. For instance, I am now a true believer in locally raised, grass fed beef and doubt I will ever buy beef from the store again. We also have discovered the wonderfullness that is a Hutterite raised chicken. However, the privilege of having such delicious chicken available puts some serious stress on this Master Chef Wannabe. Hutterite chicken is so special that just roasting one in the oven seems almost criminal, and so I was on an internet search for the perfect way to prepare Beer Can Chicken as Kyle played on his Leapster and Emily looked for woosters in the back yard while banging away on some toys.

"Oh, no! Mama, look what Emmie did. Oh, no!"

No matter how important the perfect Beer Can Chicken recipe may seem at the time, experience should tell me that when my 23 month old daughter has not come to me in the past 5 minutes needing some attention, that I should probably be very worried, but the banging had been consistent, along with her girly jibberish that generally flows freely whenever she is happily engaged in some fun, and so I had no reason to think that I was about to discover what I discovered when I turned around.

I took a deep breath and slowly turned around. That tap-tap-tap-tappity-tap sound I heard earlier? Not a toy. That tap-tap-tap-tappity-tap was the sound of a lotion bottle being emptied, on the floor, on the wall, on the table, on the doll stroller, on my phone ~ pretty much throughout my dining room and living room. 



 "Oh, no, mama, all over your new rug!"
 Kyle was shocked! However, he quickly recovered and immediately began to "cwean up!" At 3 years old he still loves helping and he made sure Emily did her share.
The difference between Kyle's and Emily's forays into artistic expression with forbidden materials is that Emily doesn't enjoy wearing her art like Kyle did (thank you Lord!). But one thing they do have in common? A super cute "uh-oh, so I'm soooo busted" expression
I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing out loud. The absurdity of the fact that she managed to wreak that much havoc with a bottle of lotion while Kyle and I were both in the room with her, combined with the look on her face as Kyle exclaimed "Oh, no!" again and again was just too funny. It all added up to the undeniable realization that I will never learn my lesson! Alas, it is just so much fun to leave things like diaper ointment, lotion and toothpaste within reach of my littles to tempt them and test their willpower. Besides, it all makes for good blogging. And besides, this one clearly wasn't my fault, it was the Hutterite Chicken's fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment